The formal education system consists of educational institutions, textbooks, teachers, examinations, certificate and degrees. The government of Pakistan is divided into the following stages or categories.
- Primary Stage: It is from class 1 to 5. It has duration of 5 years. Children of 4-5 years take admission in class 1.
- Middle Stage: It is from class 6 to 8. It has duration of 3 years. Children who have passed the primary take admission in class 6.
- Secondary stage: It is from class 9 to 10. It has duration of 2 years. The secondary board issues SSC certificate on passing the secondary exam.
- Higher Secondary Stage: It is from class 11 to 12. It has duration of two years. The higher secondary board issues HSC certificate on passing the higher secondary exam.
- Degree Level: The students after passing the higher secondary exams can get admission in a college for a degree course. It has duration of 3 years now.
Featured, General On February 24, 2012